- With thanks to this week's sponsors Disney Circle and Full Fabric (check them out below)!
- You can now leave a voicemail for inclusion in the show: https://www.speakpipe.com/TheEdtechPodcast
- Don't forget to Sign up to the newsletter :)
- Enjoy a $50 discount at SXSWedu® with the code: reg-edu-etp_c5173c53f9
What's in this episode?
- Hear from a variety of attendees, speakers and exhibitors at Bett on edtech trends including data, financial squeeze, & class sizes
- Hear from Global Teacher Prize Winner '16 Hanan Al Hroub on why teachers should be given more space and time to be creative and focus on students
- Hear from an ICT coordinator of a school district in Sweden responsible for 8000 students on why 'hardware is not the solution'
- Hear from an ICT Advisor to the UAE Ministry of Education on the Emiratisation of schools to become and education destination
- Hear from Show My Homework co-founder Jon Tiss on Satchel and the early days of starting SMH 'in a room, with no natural light.'
- Hear from Amanda Jackson, Inspector for Standards and Effectiveness for Computing and eSafety,and Dave Smith, Computing & Online Safety Adviser/Business Development Lead, Havering Education Services on UK edtech strategy, international visitors and new services
Thank you to this week's Sponsors, plus special discounts:
Circle with Disney got in touch via twitter thinking I was based in the US, but although they’re yet to come to the UK they are still saying hi to all of you lovely listeners because our second biggest audience are in the US, but wherever you are hello! So what is Circle? Well, I think everyone listening has probably cried to Bambi, or Dumbo so you know what Disney is! Circle with Disney is a little device designed for families to help manage content and time spent online across devices in the home. It pairs to Wi-Fi routers and 4G or WiFi networks of Tablets, PCs, Smart Phones, and all devices its connected with and allows parents to filter content, set time limits and bedtimes across platforms like YouTube, Minecraft, Facebook, Netflix and Snapchat. Which reminds me of when my mum tragically pulled the plug from our Amstrad PC on a hot summer’s day just before we could crush the boss man on Kung Fu Master. I didn’t thank her then, but I definitely do now.
The best thing is the kind folks at Circle have sorted out special Free Shipping and a $10 OFF discount for you listeners if you go to meetcircle.com and enter the code EDTECH. The code will be live till the 31st March. Thank you Circle.
Next up, our friends at Full Fabric with a message to all the higher education listeners out there. If you work in university admissions and you’re considering ways to streamline your marketing and on boarding processes check them out! Full Fabric is developed by a team who worked within a university and were frustrated by the experience of supporting students effectively. They realised any software solution needed to be customisable to help universities recruit, market to and admit students in one place. All data is hosted on the cloud, meaning it can be accessed anytime, anywhere and on a range of devices.
If that sounds of interest to you, you can request a free consultation about your university’s admissions process by visiting learn.fullfabric.com/podcast
Amanda Jackson, Inspector for Standards and Effectiveness for Computing and eSafety, Havering Education Services
- Denmark - ‘The thing that they were really interested in were the micro:bits.’
- VR: 'It can’t ever replace a good trip somewhere, but it can work really well when you have good context’
Dave Smith, Computing & Online Safety Adviser/Business Development Lead, Havering Education Services
- A UK digital strategy for schools: 'That’s something we desperately need. We need to be driving that in our schools.’
- Sweden: 'When I went there in 2011 for the first time, in the swedish authority all the students have a laptop of their own and all the students are allowed to install their own programmes.’
Soren Anderson, ICT-strategist for the school district of Sandviken, Sweden
- 'We are a high tech country, but i fell like we missed something on the way.’
- I think that many of us thought that if we just have everything we need (technically) it would solve every problem, but it didn't’
IT Advisor, UAE Ministry of Education
- 'We would like our country to be number one in education.’
- 'Our strategy is to enhance education through Emirati schools.'
Jon Tiss, Co-Founder, Show My Homework
- 'Naimish regular goes out to schools. I still go out to schools. The classroom changes week to week. If you take your finger off the pulse, your’e already outdated.'
- 'That’s how we started. It was me and him. One developer. In a room with no natural light.'
- Don't forget to subscribe to The Edtech Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher.
- Help! The Edtech Podcast is looking out for interns to help us on our mission: email@example.com if you are interested
- Collaborate on our LIVE podcast series - we are on the look out for unique venues or complimentary sponsors.
Media Partnership with SXSWedu® Conference & Festival
The Edtech Podcast will attend the seventh annual SXSWedu® Conference & Festival in Austin, March 6-9, 2017 to document the passionate and diverse community of education stakeholders brought together across its four days of programming. As part of our media partnership, listeners can access a $50 discount on tickets by going to http://sxswedu.com/ and entering the code reg-edu-etp_c5173c53f9 at check-out! Shout out @podcastedtech if you're going and use the code :)
Never miss an episode! Subscribe to The Edtech Podcast via iTunes, TuneIN Radio, Stitcher, Pocket Cast and many more. You can also subscribe to The Edtech Podcast weekly for news, events updates and episode links: Sign up to The EdTech Podcast Weekly 🎧 - Latest Episode Links & News 📢
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more
1000+ listeners from 96 countries each week
3 ad slots per episode
Co-curated takeover episodes
International pop-ups and LIVE podcast recording events
Support independent community building in the edtech space
Thank you for your podcast reviews!:
‘I am both a listener and a past interviewee on The Edtech Podcast and I can’t recommend it highly enough: it’s an excellent resource.’
Prof. Rose Luckin, Professor of Learner Centred Design, UCL Knowledge Lab - photo in past guests folder
Your written iTunes reviews encourage me and they help other people find the podcast. If you appreciate the edtech conversations I share, please write your own review on iTunes or Stitcher!
Add your thoughts and feedback for inclusion in the next episode, by downloading the anchor app for free and recording a quick comment. You can then forward this to The Edtech Podcast anchor account or via twitter to @podcastedtech.
I can help you with your project or business:
Get in contact with me about bespoke consultancy projects.
Innovate My School is a strategic partner of The EdTech Podcast. Visit www.innovatemyschool.com to subscribe to the free newsletter for the latest inspirational articles
Visit www.edtechnology.co.uk to sign up for the free fortnightly e-newsletter for the latest news and innovations in EdTech, featuring The Edtech Podcast
Visit http://www.besa.org.uk/ for member news and information. 10% discount for BESA members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
Visit https://www.naace.co.uk for member news and information. 10% discount for NAACE members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
University Business (UB) was launched in 2005, and in the past decade has established itself as the leading B2B publication within the UK HE sector. http://universitybusiness.co.uk/
Bett is your annual opportunity to experiment with the latest education technology, hear from inspirational figures and experts in the industry and meet your peers from far and wide (as in literally from classrooms around the world).Read more and register here: For more information contact email@example.com
Visit www.ukeduweekly.com to review the latest news and articles
EdTechXEurope is the leading thought leader summit bringing together executive level investors, innovators and industry influencers from European and international education companies. Now in its fourth year, EdTechXEurope hosted 800+ global attendees and invited over 150 speakers to showcase EdTech innovations and perspectives from around the world. http://edtechxeurope.com/
The EdTech Exchange is Europe's largest community of EdTech Founders and provides members with mentoring, support and a programme of events designed to share best practice through peer-to-peer learning. The Exchange brings together like-minded EdTech entrepreneurs, encouraging them to exchange ideas, swap war stories, and give and receive advice from their peers. It is solely for Founders of EdTech companies who have raised at least £100,000 of financing or revenue, with many members having raised significantly more. http://edtech.exchange/
The Edtech Podcast supports the mission of WomenEd: #WomenEd is a grassroots movement which connects existing and aspiring leaders in education. Even though women dominate the workforce across all sectors of education there still remain gender inequalities, particularly at senior leadership level. The situation regarding BME leadership is even more dire considering the fact that the student population is becoming increasingly diverse. This situation is clearly unacceptable and rapid change is needed. #WomenEd will therefore campaign and use its collective power to make improvements, so that there is a more equitable balance in terms of gender and ethnicity at leadership level across all sectors of education. http://www.womened.org/
ASU GSV Summit 2017!
10% discount for listeners...
With ever increasing expectations from students and staff alike at universities across the UK, the Accelerating Digital Transformation conference will bring together the best digital specialists in the UK to discuss how technology can enhance the student experience. The event will include a day of best practise and knowledge sharing from peers in HE who are experts on the topic, businesses that facilitate the digitalisation process and individuals who have successfully digitalised their own organisations. It will be a great chance to network, get involved and be ahead of the curve. Website:http://digitaltransformationhe.co.uk/